carson city sheriff's department
4Paws 4H to Host Police Dog Demonstration at Fuji Park Thursday, Sept. 17, with Carson City Sheriff's K-9 UnitSubmitted by Carson Now Reader on Tue, 09/17/2013 - 9:05am
4Paws 4H dog club is hosting Part 2 of Deputy Officer Jimmy Surratt of the Carson City Sheriff's Department Canine Unit and his K-9, Ary, at its next meeting, Thursday, Sept. 19, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Fuji Park's Exhibit Hall.
He and Ary, a Belgian Malinois, will be demonstrating police training moves utlizing another officer in a bite suit. Then, Officer Surratt will have a brief question and answer period. Children age 5-19 are welcome to attend with their families. Contact the 4-H Extension Office at 887-2252 for further questions.
4Paws 4H dog club is hosting a guest speaker, Officer Jimmy Sherratt of the Carson City Sheriff's Department Canine Unit at its next meeting, Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Fuji Park's Exhibit Hall. The meeting is open to children age 5-19 and their families. After a demonstration and presentation by Officer Sherratt and his canine companion, he will have a brief question and answer period. Contact the 4-H Extension Office at 887-2252 for further questions.
A 56-year-old Carson City woman was sentenced to prison Tuesday after embezzling at least $140,000 as office manager of a Carson City company formerly owned by actor Kevin Costner.
On Tuesday, District Court Judge James Wilson sentenced Barbara Jean Larson to 24 to 72 months in prison on a charge of embezzlement and 12 to 30 months on a charge related to defrauding the State of Nevada, Employment Security Division.
A Carson City woman faces felony embezzlement charges after allegedly stealing an estimated $140,000 as office manager of CINC Industries, an environmental engineering company formerly owned by actor Kevin Costner.
Barbara Jean Larson, 56, was arrested October 9 and faces felony charges of obtaining money by false pretenses, uttering a forged instrument and embezzlement. She is due in Carson City Justice Court on Nov. 6. The woman admitted to stealing and told investigators that she has a gambling problem.
The Carson City Sheriff's Department has arrested the following individual for felony allegations:
- Garrett John Hatch, 21, a Carson City man, for two allegations of hit and run. Hatch was also arrested for misdemeanor allegations of DUI first offense, hit and run unoccupied, driving on the sidewalk, failure to report an accident, and two counts of violation of probation. Bail is set at $88,025 plus administrative fees.
An incident at the Carson City Detention Facility on Monday afternoon led to felony allegations of battery by a prisoner to be added to the list of allegations for two prisoners: Lauren Kaye Smith and Kelly Lynn Davis. The two women are alleged to have attacked another female inmate. Bail has been set at $20,000 for each woman.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals for felony or gross misdemeanor allegations:
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals for felony allegations:
- Ashley Ore-Larson, 18, a Carson City woman, for conspiracy to violation the controlled substances act and possession of heroin. Ore-Larson was also arrested for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. Bail has been set at $18,500 plus administrative fees. At the same incident, officers arrested two more people for felony allegations:
Carson City Sheriff's deputies involved in the Special Enforcement Team made a series of arrests on Wednesday evening based on an anonymous tip of marijuana plants being grown. Four people were arrested:
- Justin Lobretto, 29, a Carson City man, for possession of a controlled substance (marijuana - approximately 60 plants). Lobretto was also arrested for a gross misdemeanor allegation of child endangerment and a misdemeanor allegation of possession of drug paraphernalia. Bail is set at $6,000 plus administrative fees.
**PRESS RELEASE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD BELOW**
The Carson City Sheriff's Office has announced that they will be holding their Citizen Academy beginning May 2. These academies are available several times a year to the public who are interested in learning how the Sheriff's Office operates. Classes will run from May 2 through June 20 and will be held from 6 p.m. through 9 p.m. Wednesday evenings at the Ormsby Room of the Sheriff's Office.
There is no charge for these classes. The deadline for completed applications is 5 p.m. April 27, 2012.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals for felony allegations:
- Charity Michael Rife, 35, a Sparks woman, was transferred to the Carson City Detention Facility from the Northern Nevada Correctional Facility on the following warrants out of Carson City: obtaining and using a false ID to avoid imprisonment; theft; burglary (two counts; uttering forged instruments (three counts); and theft from $250 - $2,500 (two counts). Bail is set at $50,000.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals on felony or gross misdemeanor allegations over the weekend:
- Michael Eric Irwin, 26, a Carson City resident, was transported to the Carson City Detention Facility for allegations of lewdness with a child under 14, and two allegations of sexual assault of a child under 14. Irwin was arrested in Washoe County and transported to the CCDF at approximately 9:30 Friday evening. A warrant for Irwin's arrest was issued on March 26, 2012 by the Carson City Justice Court. Bail is set at $150,000.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies made the following arrests for felonies from Monday afternoon:
- Lindsay Ann Hammers, 23, a fast food employee from Carson City, for a probation and parole violation. Hammers was also arrested on allegations of misdemeanor cell phone use while driving and a misdemeanor failure to appear warrant in her name. No bail has been set.
- Cheryl Bettencourt, 53, a Carson City resident, for burglary and a misdemeanor petit larceny allegation. Bail is set at $25,250 plus administrative fees.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies made several arrests for felony or gross misdemeanor allegations over the weekend, including:
- William W. Hornbeck, 41, a Carson City plumber, for three felony failure to appear warrants in his name. No bail has been set. At the same time, deputies arrested Eduardo Juarez Leon, 42, a Carson City man, for felony harboring a fugitive. Bail in that case is set at $10,000.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Joseph Anthony Rodgers, 21, a Sparks resident, at 6 p.m. Wednesday evening at the 1900 block of North Carson Street. Rodgers was arrested for felony allegations of possession of a stolen vehicle and a probation and parole violation. He was also arrested on a misdemeanor allegation of violation of a protection order. No bail has been set because of the probation violation.
Deputies also made the following misdemeanor arrests:
- A 27-year-old Dayton woman for two contempt of court warrants in her name.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following suspects for felony allegations or warrants:
- Gregory Scott johnson, 38, a service tech from Carson City, on allegations of use of money derived unlawfully when a bill he attempted to use at a casino was discovered to be a counterfeit. Bail is set at $7,500.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals for felony or gross misdemeanor violations from Friday:
- Brett Steven Jones, 32, an electrician from Carson City, for a felony parole and probation hold in his name. No bail has been set.
- Jeremy Randall Hoover, 22, a Brentwood, Calif. resident, for a gross misdemeanor allegation of violation of a suspended sentence. Bail is $1,000 cash-only.
***Please feel free to download a copy of the press release below.***
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Elizabeth Santillanez, 18, a Carson City woman, at 6 p.m. Wednesday evening after she was transferred to the Carson City Detention Facility from the Douglas County Jail. Santillanez was arrested on a felony allegation of automotive burglary. Bail is set at $10,000.
Deputies also arrested several people for misdemeanor allegations:
- A 20-year-old transient man was arrested for domestic battery, minor consumption, and possession of marijuana.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies made several felony arrests from Monday evening through Wednesday morning:
- Kameron Mariolo, 26, a Carson City resident, for use of another's identification, and a misdemeanor violation of alternative sentencing conditions. Mariolo allegedly used his older brother's information when officers requested his identification. Bail is set at $5,500.
The Rand Avenue convenience store behind Tierra Plaza was robbed last night at approximately 8:30 p.m. No arrests have been made. The log indicates that the suspect may have injured himself during the robbery, as an officer reported discovering blood.
Carson City Secret Witness: (775) 322-4900
A DUI checkpoint is scheduled for 6 p.m. - midnight this Saturday, March 17th, at the intersection of Carson and Colorado streets. Officers will be inspecting vehicles for intoxicated drivers as well as child passenger safety.
A Reno Police Department deputy arrested Emanuel "Bouncer" Moreno, a 21-year-old Carson City man, at 8 p.m. Saturday evening at the 1100 block of Mill Street (Renown Medical Center) in Reno. Moreno was involved in a shooting at approximately 4:15 a.m. Saturday morning in front of Toads Bar on East William Street. Moreno was arrested on a felony attempted murder allegation as well as misdemeanor allegations of discharging a firearm in public and contempt of court. Bail is set at $76,500.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested several people for felony allegations this weekend, as well as one man on a gross misdemeanor allegation.
- Patrick William "Roach" Ouellette, 29, an unemployed Reno man, for felony warrants in his name of 1st degree kidnapping with the use of a deadly weapon, second degree kidnapping with the use of a deadly weapon, battery with a deadly weapon, and assault with a deadly weapon. Duellette was also alleged to have committed felony extortion, which carries a $250,000 bail charge.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following suspects based on felony allegations:
- Ernesto "Trajik" Hernandez Espino, 26, an unemployed Carson City man and known gang member, just after 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. Espino turned himself in at the Carson City Detention Facility and was arrested for the following felony warrants in his name: Battery causing substantial bodily harm, and battery with a deadly weapon. Bail is set at $30,000.
In a tragic incident on Friday, an officer was attacked by a dog while making an arrest, leading to shots being fired and the death of the dog.
Initially we reported the story based on the dispatch log. The official arrest report has more details about the incident.
According to the arrest report, at about 2:30 p.m. Friday, an officer conducted a routine traffic stop on a car containing Kevin Dean Parrish, 26, and Asya Rose Pedone, 30, both Carson City residents. Also in the car were two large dogs identified as being similar in appearance to a pit bull, and two children.
Just before 2:30 p.m. today, during a traffic stop near the intersection of Roop Street and Little Lane, an officer was attacked by a large dog described as looking similar to a pit bull. The officer sustained minor injuries to his right leg and was directed to obtain medical treatment. The dog was shot and killed.
The officer pulled over a vehicle driven by a female identified as Terra Smythe. The passenger in the car was identified as Kevin Parrish.
The Carson City Sheriff's Department will be hosting a business academy beginning April 4, 2012 at 6 p.m. and running for six weeks. The course will be taking place in the Ormsby Room of the Carson City Sheriff's Office (911 E. Musser St.).
The aim of the class is to teach business owners and managers about the functions and workings of the sheriff's department as pertains to businesses. It is especially recommended to businesses in the casino, liquor, pawn, retail, restaurant, and auto repair industries.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Kirkland Wayne Abel, 40, an HVAC installer from Carson City, at about 4:30 this morning at the 900 block of East Fifth Street. Abel was arrested for felony allegations of possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamines), as well as two misdemeanor allegations of possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of marijuana. Abel allegedly got into an argument with his wife when he discovered that his thermostat had been changed from 65 degrees to 66 degrees. Bail is set at $5,100 plus administrative fees.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested several individuals for serious crimes over President's Day weekend. Among those are:
- Manuel Ricardo Pinuelas, 39, a self-employed Carson City resident, at about 4:30 p.m. Friday afternoon at the 4000 block of Emerson Drive. Pinuelas was arrested for a felony embezzelment and unlawful use of a credit card warrant in his name. Bail is set at $5,000.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies served inmate Helen Marie Holguin, 36, a Carson City waitress, at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday evening. Holguin was served with three felony warrants for fraudulent use of a credit card, and one felony warrant for attempted fraudulent use of a credit card. Bail is set at $40,000.
All suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested the following individuals over the last few days:
- Jacob Jerrard, 23, a maintenance worker from Carson City, just after 9 p.m. Wednesday night, at the corner of North Edmonds Drive and Highway 50 East. Jerrard was arrested for a felony hold from Probation and Parole, as well as the misdemeanors of failing to stop at a stop sign and driving without a valid drivers' license. No bail has been set.
Members of the Special Enforcement Team for the Carson City Sheriff's Office arrested Brandi L. Petty, 31, a Carson City home care specialist, just prior to 5 p.m. Saturday. Petty was arrested near the 1000 block of East Second Street as the result of an ongoing investigation.
Deputies approached the residence with the intent to serve the warrant and discovered two video cameras, one disguised as a birdhouse. Knocking several times on the front door yielded no result, so the officers proceded to enter the residence through the back door. A search yielded drugs and paraphernalia.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Brian Martin, 29, a Carson City man, at about 11 p.m. Thursday evening near the 2000 block of Lone Mountain Drive. Martin was arrested for a felony possession of methamphetamines and the following misdemeanors: possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, and a turn signal violation. The car that Martin was driving was impounded with Capital Tow. Bail was set at $4,125.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Marshall Jaffe, 42, a construction worker from Carson City, at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. Jaffe was arrested for a felony possession of methamphetamines, a misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor resisting arrest with violence, and a misdemeanor driving an unregistered vehicle. The vehicle that Jaffe was driving was impounded. Bail is set at $4,150 plus administrative fees.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies Kelli Deann Owen-Self, 48, a Dayton woman, for a felony no-bail probation violation at around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday evening in the 1600 block of Medical Parkway. When the officer arrived, Owen-Self allegedly smelled heavily of alcohol. No bail is set.
At approximately 4 p.m. Tuesday an emergency call was placed from the Warm springs Correctional Facility regarding an officer assaulted by two inmates. The officer was described as having some bleeding but being fully alert. The emergency call was then cancelled.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Cody Thompson, 20, an unemployed Carson City man, at 9 a.m. Monday near the intersection of Northridge Drive and Table Rock Drive. Thompson was arrested for the felonies of possession of a stolen vehicle and possession of a controlled substance, a gross misdemeanor of possession of a dangerous weapon, and misdemeanors of possession of a hypodermic device, possession of drug paraphernalia, failure to maintain a single lane, violation of a suspended sentence, and not having a valid drivers' license. Bail is set at $35,150 plus administrative fees.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Josephina Rodriguez, 43, a Carson City woman, at just after 9 p.m. Tuesday at the 3800 block of South Carson Street. Rodriguez was arrested for felony burglary. She is alleged to have stolen ten items from the Carson City Kohls, where she was assigned to clean over a period of several months. She claimed were clothes for her grandson. Bail is set at $2,500.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested William Taylor Payne, 21, a student from Cordova, Tenn., just after midnight this morning near a south Carson Street convenience store. Payne was arrested on allegations of felony possession of marijuana (more than an ounce), felony possession of marijuana with intent to sell, misdemeanor speeding, and misdemeanor open container. The arresting officer discovered within Payne's vehicle a large red duffel bag, which contained just over 16 pounds of marijuana. Bail is set at $10,000.
Early Saturday morning, Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Tammy J. Molthop-Maattala, 48, a Carson City woman, near the 5000 block of Arrowhead Drive. Molthop-Maattala was arrested for a misdemeanor domestic battery, and two felonies - a probation and parole violation and assault with a deadly weapon.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Roy Nelson Robinson, 47, an unemployed Carson City man, at about 1 p.m. Thursday at the 900 block of South Carson Street. Robinson was arrested for a misdemeanor domestic battery and a felony sex offender failure to change address. Bail is set at $8,000 plus administrative fees.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies took custody of Anthony Kendall, 25, an unemployed transient, at the Carson City Detention Facility at 9:40 a.m. Jan. 10. Kendall was transferred to the facility from Douglas County for a felony possession of a controlled substance warrant in his name. No bail has been set.
An officer arrested Joanne Holder, 58, a disabled Carson City woman, at 4:20 a.m. today at Jack in the Box on Highway 50 East. Holder was arrested for a gross misdemeanor misuse of 911. Bail is set at $2,500.
Carson City sheriff's deputies arrested Michael Jerrod Jacobsen, a 25-year-old transient, at around 12:30 this morning at the 300 block of Hot Springs Road. Jacobsen was arrested for misdemeanor obstructing, misdemeanor drug paraphernalia, a felony parole violation, and a previously existing felony warrant.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested a 32-year-old woman at around noon Thursday for five instances of failure to prevent truance, five instances of interfering with pupil attendence at school, and five instances of attendence in public school requirement failures.
A school resource officer was contact by the principal of a local elementary school, who notified him of four children who had been missing from school since the beginning of November, coupled with several reports from a neighbor about children playing outside when they should be attending school.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Tammy Laurene Davis, 40, an unemployed Carson City woman, around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday near the 2600 block of College Parkway. Davis was arrested for two failure to appear warrants in her name - a felony out of Carson City and a misdemeanor out of Douglas County. No bail has been set.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Shelbie Kae Montgomery, 26, a sales associate from Carson City, for gross misdemeanor posession of prescription drugs without a prescription, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, and misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Montgomery was arrested at around 8 p.m. Tuesday evening at the 4200 block of South Carson Street. Bail is set at $4,100 plus administrative fees.
Not long after this, Carson City Detention inmate Kyle Montgomery Carpenter, 23, was booked on two additional felony warrants in his name for battery with a deadly weapon.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Donna Baltazar-Williams, 30, a Fallon resident, at around 9 p.m. Sunday night for gross misdemeanor battery on a public officer and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested a 67-year-old Carson City woman at around noon Thursday at the 900 block of Beverly Drive.
During the lunch hour at the Carson City Senior Citizen's Center, a patron allegedly became annoyed with a fellow patron who was playing the piano and began yelling at him. Another patron stood to defend the piano player and was assaulted, being struck on the back and having her hair pulled. The defendant then assaulted the piano player as well. The arresting officer stated that he felt the defendant was intoxicated.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested Orion Johnathan Haines, 20, a Carson City resident, at around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday evening at the 1900 block of North Carson Street.
Officers were dispatched to the location to apprehend a fleeing felon. The felon in question was quickly apprehended. Haines refused several times to comply with officers after his friend was arrested, and was discovered to have allegedly stolen medications from a cancer patient that lived next door to him.
A Carson City Sheriff's deputy arrested Cameron Matthew Haffey, 20, a stocker from Carson City, just before 3 a.m. Wednesday at the 1800 block of North Carson Street. Around 11 p.m. Tuesday officers were dispatched to a north Carson pharmacy on a report of a broken window. Camera footage showed a suspect in dark pants and a dark coat. Later on the same deputy was passing the pharmacy and spotted a suspect that matched that description.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies arrested David Anthony Patten, 19, an unemployed Carson City resident, at 10:51 a.m. Friday, near the 500 block of Country Village Drive in Carson City. Patten was arrested for a felony probation violation, a felony failure to appear warrant, and an unspecified misdemeanor felony. No bail has been set.
Juan Diaz-Rodriguez, 44, of Carson City, was arrested at around noon Friday near the 1900 block of North Carson Street. Diaz-Rodriguez was arrested for a felony fraud of a business. Bail is set at $7,500.